Saturday 3 November 2007

Trey Ratcliff, Photography






Everyone must see this website if they are interested in photography. http://stuckincustoms.com/ It shows the work of photographer Trey Ratcliff.

Ratcliff's photographs are all shot in high dynamic range. The effect of this form is quite dramatic, some photos appear exactly as we would see in real life, with the image practically bursting off the page, creating a sense of depth, whereas some appear artificially three dimensional and what can only be described as magical.


HDR is a set of techniques that allows a far greater dynamic range of exposure, where we see a large range of values between light and dark areas. The aim of this form of photography is to represent a more accurate range of intensity levels found in real life scenes.


Ratcliff's images are inspiring and well worth having a look. Since seeing his photographs it has encouraged me to try working in the HDR format. The result is photographs not as I have ever seen before, with the images looking almost like a mystical view of the scene. I'm not sure if I've quite got the hang of it yet but I will post some of my examples on my blog soon.

(Have a go at zooming into the photograph of the Bangkok aerial view at night, the amount of detail is incredible!)

No comments: